Home Page


Sunday, January 06, 2008

No Sunday Radio Show but here is something to chew on in the meantime- A Preview of The Boondocks' "Hunger Strike" episode



Due to time constraints, tonight's Afronerd Radio program will be cancelled but I would like you guys to check this Youtube clip in the interim. To my knowledge, there was some kind of falling out between Aaron McGruder and Reginald Hudlin over the direction of The Boondocks and the above preview may explain the reason for the rift. I guess Mr. Hudlin has thick skin, as a caricature of him is hilariously lampooned in this episode-while he still maintains executive production credit for a project that he is no longer directly connected to. Although I have my problems with The Boondocks regarding its execution of critiquing some of the Black neo-minstrel idioms, I can applaud the effort. And anyone who has visited this blog previously is well aware of my disdain for BET's absolute refusal to expand its imagery (i.e. tone down the prurient videos, revise a decent news division, play progressive hip hop artists, Black rock acts, etc) but perhaps the best example of my disappointment in the network was how I was treated by Mr. Hudlin himself. And it goes even deeper.
Check out the latest episode of The Boondocks this Monday at 11pm eastern. What do you think about what this episode says about BET?

No comments: