Home Page


Thursday, June 22, 2006

When adding a Dash of Bleach Doesn't Always Clean.....

I have been a careful observer of the bleaching controversy which entails Whites moving back to the communities of color they once abandoned. I always wondered where the Whites moved to once they found out that there is almost no way to run away from a growing populace.....of non-Whites. Actually, my discovery of the Washington Post bleaching article reminded me of a fascinating book I read a decade earlier entitled, Two Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal. Two Nations, written by Queens College professor Andrew Hacker, made the argument that many White folk viewed the moving of Blacks to the suburbs as a sort of infestation. So imagine my surprise when due to our current economic climate, upwardly mobile Whites are considering Black and minority neighborhoods to reside in simply because housing costs are deeming it financially expedient. Another interesting thing to note relating to this article, was my discovery of a site that may provide a glimpse as to how some Whites feel about the notion of bleaching. Check out the link below:

  • American Renaissance


  • Scroll down to the comments section of this article(excerpt of the Post's bleaching article) and the statements are truly disturbing.....the painting of all Blacks with a racial brush. Upon further investigation(and a tour of the site), Amren obviously has a racist agenda. Check out wikipedia's analysis of Amren:

  • American Renaissance(magazine)



  • Of course I'm not going to hold all Whites accountable to Amren's bleaching philosophies, but I do not know what to think about the phenomenon. I have no qualms with a person, irrespective of his/her race wanting to reside in a minority based neighborhood. And I am not sure if the complaints of the Black residents in the Post's article are valid either. What I am sure of is that many minority based communities should be allowed to retain their cultural presence minus crime and economic depression. It should not be prefaced that a White presence equals lower crime rates, higher property values and a Starbucks on every corner. I guess what I am saying is.....why not a Black Starbucks that all races can enjoy. I may have to revisit this subject in a few days. Ultimately, Rodney King said it best...."can't we all get along(in nice clean neighborhoods)?"

    No comments: