Home Page


Monday, February 18, 2008

Much to do about Absolutely Nothing.......Obama Accused of Plagiarism......Really?



No long deep proselytizing needed here. Is this the best that Brutha and Sista Clinton can come up with? Does anyone think that Senator Obama and Governor Patrick both referenced President Kennedy as if they were the only ones that ever did? I'm the first to pick apart something if I feel that it is substantive but this is just sorry-talk about the Clinton campaign running on fumes. But then again, fumes have been known to make one teary-eyed before a primary. Check out this excerpt from The New York Times:


Mr. Obama told reporters he should have credited Gov. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts, a friend, for a passage in a speech he delivered on Saturday in Milwaukee. But Mr. Obama said his rival was “carrying it too far.”

“Let’s see,” Mr. Obama said. “I’ve written two books. I wrote most of my speeches. I would add that I noticed Senator Clinton, on occasion, has used words of mine as well.”

The exchange injected a fresh dose of contention into the bitter fight for the Democratic nomination. Mr. Obama said two of his standard lines — “It’s time to turn the page” and “Fired up and ready to go” — have made their way into Mrs. Clinton’s remarks in recent weeks.

As Mrs. Clinton campaigned in Wisconsin in advance of the primary there on Tuesday, one of her top advisers, Howard Wolfson, convened a conference call with reporters to accuse Mr. Obama of plagiarizing Mr. Patrick’s remarks from a 2006 campaign appearance.

Mr. Wolfson said it was important for voters to know that Mr. Obama’s rhetoric, at least in this instance, was not original.

During a news conference here, Mr. Obama said he and Mr. Patrick “trade ideas all the time.” Asked if he should have given credit to Mr. Patrick, he said, “I’m sure I should have,” but he said he doubted that voters were concerned by the dust-up.

“I’m happy to give Deval credit, as I give to a lot of people for spurring all kinds of ideas,” he said. “But I think it’s fair to say that everything we’ve been doing and generating excitement and the interest that people have had in the elections is based on the core belief in me that we need change in America.”


Let's here it from the class. Is this a case of plagiarism or is it fume-gate?

For more of the Times piece, click on the link below:

Clinton Camp Says Obama Plagiarized in Speech

No comments: