Home Page


Sunday, November 05, 2006

In the Immortal words of ODB...."We teach the chil-ren"



I doubt the late ODB(or Big Baby Jesus) had The Brooklyn Superhero Supply Store in mind when he made his infamous Grammy award speech relating to the Wu Tang Clan's failure to garner any awards that night. I've been meaning to highlight this funky costume store/literary workshop for quite a few months now but I have so many thoughts racing through my mind that sometimes a great story will slip through the cracks. I first learned about this store from a local tv program entitled Cool In Your Code. Code is probably singlehandedly the reason I find it difficult to leave New York. The show does a great job of informing the viewer of so many cultural venues, niche shops and historical reference points that leaving the Big Apple (despite the cost of living) might be treasonous. Anyway, back to the Supply Store. The store is the brainchild of writer Dave Eggers, who devised a way to consolidate cans of anti-matter, masks and capes with a writer’s workshop for kids ranging in age from six to 18. I wish this existed when I was a burgeoning young comic book reader. If you ever find your way to Brooklyn, take your kids to this store or at least use them as an excuse to buy your invisibility belt.

  • Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co.
  • No comments: