Home Page


Saturday, November 24, 2012

Our Post Holiday Shows-Comic Shoppe & Afronerd, 6-7pm! And the Latest Pulp Musings from The Shoppe's Daryll B!

We're gambling that our faithful listeners have had their fill of turkey, stuffing and Black Friday avarice and are ready for some entertaining and informative straight talk from their "Podcast Avengers!" Check out the Grindhouse Sundays edition of our broadcast with The Comic Shoppe airing at 6pm and Afronerd Radio batting second at 7pm. On The Shoppe-Daryll B., Captain Kirk and Dburt discuss the following: director, Peter Ramsey is being touted as the "Obama" of animation with the upcoming release of his CGI Rise of the Guardians film; our thoughts on the new BSG: Blood and Chrome web series; the Avengers encounter Ultron in a special 10 part comic series; Dburt finally sees Skyfall and actor/comedian Patton Oswalt talks about his time with Wesley Snipes on the set of Blade: Trinity.

And then there's Afronerd featuring Captain Kirk at 7pm! Listen to The Captain and Dburt wax about the following topics: there appears to be even more post re-election racism tales (AZ gun shop owner, the police and college campus nonsense); Dburt checks out Eddie Murphy: One Night Only and was disappointed with its display of minstrelsy; the rise in street gangs on Native American reservations; more Black Friday shenanigans and any issues that were left on the table from Wednesday's show. Call the hosts live at 646-915-9620.

Our Post Holiday Shows-Comic Shoppe & Afronerd, 6-7pm!

And then there's the pop cultured infused meanderings of The Shoppe's Daryll B.:

As I type this AfroNerd Readers, I'm watching my Jets have 3 consecutive turnovers to go down to the Patriots 28-0 in the 2nd Quarter of Thanksgiving Night. My anger reaching uncontrollable levels would be a serious understatement. However, I will not focus on the negative for this blog... so Bendis once again crapping on DnA's cosmic foundations (Age of Ultron? Really? After the Annihilation Conquest run?) and the Red Dawn trailer (I didn't know that there's only 2 black people in a spunky American town in 2012?) will get a pass.... for now... Instead I am am going to focus on the positive:

  -Mark Waid keeps on trucking! Think about his work over the last year: the return of Ruse; critically and fan lauded runs on Daredevil and The Rocketeer. Now he gets his hands on Bruce Banner and The Hulk! Awesome!

  -I may have problems with some of their characterizations, but Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison continue to keep their fanbases happy with their DC projects. And I can't lie, the latest Aquaman arc and Morrison's Multiversity project has peaked my interest. I am just hoping in 12 months I can still remain positive...

  -Cullen Bunn, Chris Yost, and Brian Wood getting more writing responsibilities at Marvel. Bunn with Fearless Defenders and Wolverine; Yost with Avenging Spider-Man to go along with his handling of their animated properties; and Wood with a foothold in the X-Men, 616 and the Ultimate Universe variety. Here's hoping they have the creative latitude to explore new ideas and concepts.

  -The Internet... for as much as I hate on some of the moronic acts on this invention that I have seen, there is no denying that the 'net has given me a cornucopia of differing ideas when looking at my beloved artform. Heck, it even provides the ability for you fans to get back at me on The ComicShoppe on Sun 6pm EST. I learn as much from you folks as you all hate my big mouth.

  -Also thanks to the internet for giving me the ability to skip bad TV and watch my favorite shows at anytime...anyplace!

  -Fringe and The Walking Dead.... not everything these shows do is golden but they certainly continue to make me think week after week. I don't need reality TV when I have Alternative Reality TV!

  -Simpsons and South Park.... just for how they continue to lampoon major headline news and trends, forcing the viewer to think about their roles in them. I'd include Daily Show in here too if it was Sci-fi or Fantasy....

  -Marvel Movie Studios for having a plan and carrying it out. This opens up nerds of a cinematic nature to an infinite universe of ideas to be capitalized on.

  -Image and Dark Horse, for being everything the Big Two aren't..i.e. places of creativity for the next generation of writers and artists to express their visions and get noticed.

  LINKBLOGGING

  -Tis the season...

  http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/11/22/the-line-it-is-drawn-116-a-very-tarzan-thanksgiving/

  I totally didn't see that Tarzan meeting Conan and Red Sonja pic going that way... Nice curveball!

  -A Chris Sims doubleheader as he looks at classic Thanksgiving balloons from Nedroid's mind:

  http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/11/21/superhero-thanksgiving-parade-balloons-nedroid/

  ..then he actually LIKES the latest Twilight Movie:

  http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/11/20/twilight-breaking-dawn-part-2-is-completely-insane-and-worth-watching-review/

  I think I would need to be heavily medicated to watch it, but believe or not he isn't the first that I heard liked the film. Meaning I am now around Pod People..lol

  -I have never hidden my Patton Oswalt love but this article might have put him in a whole new nerd stratosphere for me:

  http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/11/20/patton-oswalt-on-the-greatest-method-acting-experience-in-comic/

  Dudes I knew Wesley Snipes was scary but...wow....

  -The power is in your hands fans!

  http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/11/13-year-old-walking-dead-fan-creates-daryl-dixon-animated-short/

  Why wait for the studios to do what you like? Get creative people! The technology is out there folks! However, it does raise questions as to the mental effects of the subject matter on kids and I like the way the comments section handled the debate.

  -David Brothers checks in with this ode to Hip-Hop:

  http://4thletter.net/2012/11/lyricist-lounge-it-is-the-thickest-blood-on-this-planet/

  Seriously, if you are a hip-hop head and you never listened to Lyricist Lounge or Soundbombing songs/CDs... why are you still reading this? Go and sample these to see why some of us lament the loss of lyricists as we know it!

Finally, I want to give thanks to you fans for without your passion about our subjects as fuel, the ComicShoppe and AfroNerd would not exist. Until Next Time: Keep Fantasizing!

No comments: