Home Page


Friday, November 20, 2009

You Don't Have To Wait For Comic Shoppe Tuesdays! Check Out The Latest in Pulp News, Courtesy of Daryll B!




Hi once again Afronerd readers, it is Daryll B. writing to you once again about things sci-fi and fantasy in nature. I am typing from a theater in New York prepping to see an early showing of Ninja Assassin. I'm stoked for this even though I am in a "gore dislike" mode recently. What turned me to actually want to go out and see this? It is penned by J. Michael Straczynski and I found out the one of the major stars in it is Korean action films star Rain, who stole every scene he was in during that so-so Speed Racer remake. Yeah I am that easily swayed.

-The Weekly Crisis comic review website did an in-depth analysis of Marvel's digital distribution plan across different platforms that I encourage you all to check out. Nothing will ever replace the feel of an actual comic book in my hands, but it seems that Marvel is serious about going to the next step with their digital library. http://www.weeklycrisis.com/2009/11/digital-comics-done-right.html

-At Comic Book Reources, writer Paul Jenkins has an article called "Flogging a Dead Horse." This week he posted an amusing tale about him, his son and a couple of soldiers going to a comic book convention. Very funny and it does show that within the business there is still heart. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23771

-Wow. Crazy excitement over New Moon. Who would have guessed? Still not gonna watch this in theaters for fear of being trampled by old ladies and teenage girls. However Newsarama has an interesting article lining up Twilight Universe dynamic vs a certain comicbook school filled with amazing students.
http://www.newsarama.com/film/09118-twilight-saga-superheros.html

-Holy Cash Grab Superman! Did we really need to include Superbaby Prime in this Blackest Night thing???? As if I wasn't pissed with you enough DC. What bearing does this have on the big picture? Although I will say the Jerry Ordway art is always a treat to look at.

-Speaking of Cash Grabs, raise your hands if a) you went to a fast food place to grab a movie tie in b) picked up a comic just to get a Blackest Night ring or c) picked up a comic just because a certain wise cracking Merc For Hire was going to make a 2 page appearance within it? (Max I looking at you man!) LOL

-2012 was decent for what it was...shallow dialogue but great special effects. I only hope that when this situation actually happens, humans are smarter than their movie counterparts.

Book of the Week:I picked the 4th treasury of Pearls Before Swine Pearls Sells Out and let me tell you, no other comic strip visualizes my sarcasm at the world quite like Rat does here. Kids will love the "cuteness" of the characters, adults will talk about the greater meaning of the text.

Enjoy Your Week Readers!

No comments: