Home Page


Sunday, December 10, 2006

Rock School?.......What a Cool Idea



I was just channel surfing when I happened to take a glimpse at one my favorite films from last year, School of Rock, starring Jack Black. I purchased the DVD quite some time ago, but periodically look at the film because it does represent one of those "feel good" movies that one can get into ever so often. This film also prompted me to ponder about the real School of Rock or the more aptly named Paul Green School of Rock Music located in Philadelphia, PA. As many readers of this blog can attest to, I'm not a big fan of the current music scene. My dissatisfaction has very little to do with a longing for the days of master musicianship but more with looking for something new and superior to that bygone era. I have said this many times but if we come from a musical tradition that includes Robert Johnson, Bessie Smith, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Miles, Stevie, Jimi and Prince-where are the new stars that have created something that goes beyond the aforementioned artists? The above snippet is from the 1998 documentary entitled Rock Schoolwhich showcases the school/mentoring program created by Mr. Green. Coincidently, Green's manic, excitable and eccentric personality does appear eerily similar to the Jack Black character in the feature film.

According to wikipedia, there has been a controversy brewing over the film versus the actual school. Can anyone say intellectual property? Or better yet, lawsuit? Well, anyway, thanks to Green he has franchised his program and there are satellite schools located in many cities all over the US. Now here is my racialization moment-where are the Black/Brown versions of this sorely needed program? Fortunately, there are pockets of Jazz and Classical mentoring programs all over this country but I just wish that we all placed more emphasis on these type of programs in communities of color. I have to applaud Green's efforts in the marketing of such a school because I would assume that he started to notice that kids were just not being exposed to the musicianship that the classic rock genre engenders. I would also come to a similar conclusion as it relates to how Blues, Soul and Jazz are not being introduced to minority youth as well. I, for one, would have loved if a school like this existed when I was a kid. Is there even such a thing as a high school band anymore? I know that one of the things that gave rise to hiphop culture was the cutting back of funding for inner city school music programs dating back to the mid 70s. Again cheers to Mr. Green for developing an interesting and innovative teaching device. Rock On! For more info on Rock School, other similar programs and the dilemma of keeping kids interested in extracurricular cultural activities, click on the links below:

  • Paul Green School of Rock Music


  • Set Them Free


  • Michigan State Unviversity-School of Music


  • Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra
  • No comments: