Home Page


Friday, May 26, 2006

More on Idol.........



I have to admit that I am a reluctant American Idol watcher. It is the type of program that I glance at while channel surfing. But after watching the above Taylor Hicks retrospective, I have to admit that this cat has chops. It also reminds me of how prevalent cultural appropriation is when it comes to longstanding Black idioms. This is not to "hate" on Hicks. I am not one to racialize everything, heck I welcome all nationalities to bask in African-American style and culture. I just wish more Black people honored and represented the same culture. You would be hard pressed to find a new African-American artist that would play the standards or display the soulful and emotional content that young Mr. Hicks has shown us. Don't expect Avant, Omarion or Usher to embark on to this soulful territory. I just don't think the foresight, intelligence and talent is there. I remember when R & B singer, Tyrese, was asked during a VH-1 music oriented game show, who was the artist that inspired him to sing, he said that Bobby Brown was his influence. I like Bobby Brown, but this cat couldn't mention Stevie Wonder or Sam Cooke or god forbid, Marvin Gaye? You are bearing witness to a lost generation folks....your music, your sense of style, your essence is being discarded. But hey..there's always Taylor Hicks. Kudos Mr. Hicks!

No comments: