Home Page


Sunday, February 26, 2006

Is it me or does the Bachelor smell like Jim Crow?


Let me first state emphatically that I am not THE man of color that sees racism the same way Haley Osment saw dead people in the Six Sense. I just do not like to racialize everything. It is my estimation that many Black folk do see "racist people" (he says in Haley's voice). BUT....what do you say has this got do with ABC's The Bachelor ? (Heck we can also include the equally vapid Bachelorette) I believe these shows have miraculously stayed on for about 4 or 5 seasons and no Black or minority has been a featured bachelor nor has a woman of color been chosen to be the ultimate spouse. Oh sure, things look fair based on certain appearances but it amazes me that: a)this show is STILL on the air and b) Black folk still participate believing that they have a better than average chance at getting chosen. Let it also be stated that I have nothing against interracial dating and or marriage. Hell, in the 21st century the term interracial is really a misnomer when human folk decide to procreate. Maybe it's due to my Star Trek mindset or maybe I just don't believe in race as a concept. No this Negro is not crazy! But until the 34th century arrives (will it be that quick?) RACE does exist as a construct and so does racism. So until we see a successful, non-athletic, non-rapping Black male displayed with his choice of a bevy of beauties I guess the Flavor of Love will do. Where can a brother get some valium?

No comments: