Home Page


Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Blast from the Past......


Online Videos by Veoh.com

I'm having the toughest time trying to find Stevie Wonder's version of "Upside Down," which he performed for the Diana Ross tribute at the 2007 BET awards. Take a look at this clip from the 70s-Stevie at the height of his musical powers, performing "Living for the City." Theoretically, Stevie is my parents' music. But Stevie and a whole host of soul/jazz/rock/blues artists were played in my house during my formative years. I can't imagine growing up in a household today where T.I. and Ciara hold court-exclusively. I wish someone would tell me where our talent pool is coming from and who will perform our standards. Many of the performances on this year's BET awards (and actually for the last few years in general) were reminiscent of a high school talent show. Our culture is slowly being decimated and all one could hear are crickets chirping. No real bands...no real musicianship and no real concern. Something has to be done folks. Keyshia Cole can't be expected to be the next Nina Simone.....heaven help us.

No comments: