Home Page


Friday, May 26, 2006

A Must Read...........





I just wanted to say a couple of words regarding one of my favorite graphic novels to date, Squadron Supreme. Actually I made reference to it in one of my earlier entries, when I highlighted the Nighthawk character and the accompanying trade paperback. Squadron is essentially a revamp of a revamp, using Marvel characters dating back to the late 1960s. These characters were Marvel's nod to their main competitor's {DC, Detective Comics) superhero group, The Justice League of America. The revamped heroes were initially under Marvel's adult Max imprint, entitled Supreme Power and are now back to Squadron, in hopes of attaining a greater readership as a Marvel Knights book. I hate to say it, but we may have another case of cultural appropriation folks. I say this jokingly (sort of), but it appears that the writer, J. Michael Straczynski knows how to convincingly portray African-American heroes. There are several Black heroes, the Batman and Flash amalgams, Nighthawk and Blur, respectively. I believe a third brother, The Golden Archer is forthcoming. I don't want to give away too much, but I would suggest that you pick up issue #3 just to get a sense of the realistic dialogue. Brothers have never seemed so interesting and diverse in the comic world before this series. The X-men have nothing on these band of super-powered misfits. Can a movie be in the works? Do yourself a favor and pick up the trades and then start on the new issues at your local specialty shop.

P.S. And it looks like Marvel fans wil get an additional treat in October when the "House of Ideas" plans to release a 9-part crossover series with the Supreme and Ultimate universes, entitled Ultimate Power. Check out the article below:

  • http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6457f8942e63aa0b88b8d3a5a3c56712&threadid=63348
  • No comments: