Home Page


Tuesday, February 02, 2010

New Comic Shoppe Broadcast Tonight at 7pm ET-Discussing Avatar, Last Week's Graphic Novels, Chuck, Smallville & More!



As if you didn't know.....The Comic Shoppe team returns tonight for another informative and fascinating pulp filled broadcast. Join Max, Daryll and yours truly as we discuss the following topics: our thoughts pertaining to the mid season return of many our favorite (and not so favorite) sci-fi/fantasy shows-Heroes, Chuck, Fringe and Smallville; last week's highlights in graphic novel/comic book runs; my thoughts on Avatar as it reaches the 2 billion in ticket sales mark; DC releases Milestone Forever;a new direction (toward a future war) for the Sgt. Rock movie and more comic related news courtesy of the Shoppe's own Daryll B. Feel free to stop and call our live show at-646-200-0104 or via email-thecomicshoppe@yahoo.com. And remember make yours The Comic Shoppe! And while you wait for the show, check out this latest piece from Daryll B:

Hi faithful Afronerd readers! It is I Daryll B. with some quick hits in and around the Fantasy world for you:

As stated on last week's show, I can not recommend the animated Black Panther series enough. Reginald Hudlin does out-do himself by actually IMPROVING upon the graphic novel source material in my opinion. There are not many things you can say that do that.

I saw Legion over the weekend and I have to say the movie was pretty uneven to me. I think that after reading stuff like the current Ghost Rider run, Preacher, Crimson, and even the Grant Morrison "fallen angel" arc; the whole traitorous angel / preventing the second coming / hell on earth scenario has gotten to be like zombies and emo-glittering vampires to me.

On a related note, have Dennis Quaid found a sci-fi rebirth or what? GI Joe, Pandorum and now Legion....

We will go over this one soon but Planet Hulk was great. A perfect follow-up to last year's Hulk Vs. and in its own way a set up to a Hulk movie series.

On a friend's recommendation I picked up a couple of the Marvel Knights 4 series focusing on the Fantastic Four. I'll admit I totally underrated this series. The first trade with Roberto Aguirre-Sarcasa writing and (the little known back then) Steve McNiven on art captures the team's voices perfectly. I rank it in my top ten Fantastic Four stories alongside the Waid-Wieringo and Lee-Kirby stories definitely.

I know Dan Jurgens is moving on to other things for awhile but I will miss his Booster Gold when he leaves in April. That being said, I don't mean to slight Keith Giffen's abilities. I'm sure he'll have fun with my fav time traveler outside of Doctor Who.

Reminder: The JSA Smallville 2-parter is this week on CW along with the season ender of Demons on BBC America. Kristin Kreuk and Brandon Routh are both on this week's Chuck and be on the lookout this week for news involving another major comic franchise's third movie. That's all I am going to tease you with today... Enjoy your week fellow readers and until next time, Keep Fantasizing!

No comments: