Home Page


Monday, February 22, 2010

Check Out The Comic Shoppe Tuesday at 7pm ET-Independent Comics, JMS Returns, General Pulp News & Words from Daryll B.!



It's that time again faithful listeners/readers! The Comic Shoppe opens for business and frank pulp discussion this Tuesday at 7pm eastern. Join Max, Daryll and yours truly as we shed sci-fi/comic book/fantasy light on the following issues: TV.com's take on the best and worst comic book to television adaptations; are we seeing a resurgence in Asian stereotyping in comics? Perhaps the recent Mr. Negative crime lord storyline in Amazing Spiderman?; the return of one of my favorite graphic novel writers, J. Michael Straczynski, as chronicled by Newsarama; our independent comic book recommendations and lastly, our favorite graphic novel reads from the previous week. So stop by for a chit chat and/or join our discussion at-646-200-0104 or via email/IM-thecomicshoppe@yahoo.com. And remember...Imperius Rex, folks!


The Comic Shoppe's Week in Review


And now the latest in pulp fiction news, courtesy of the Comic Shoppe's Daryll B:



Sorry for being away for so long Afronerd readers/followers. The combination of snow, school, the pesky thing called the Winter Olympics have combined to form a perfect storm in which I couldn't think too straight about the worlds of sci-fi to form a coherent blog in a timely fashion. This however, does not mean that I did not keep an eye on things comic and sci fi related. I have 10 quick hits for you folks if you are interested:

1. I stand by what I said on the ComicShoppe about Captain America #602. I did not see anything wrong with the context or the environment in which "Tea Party" was used. ESPECIALLY since the sign in question was taken from a real life sign. (seen here http://reason.com/assets/mc/_ATTIC/ngillespie2/teabagthedems.jpg) I was more angry that Marvel n the whole, chose to cave in to the perceived pressure instead of standing by their work.

2. I got word about this exhibit through Newsarama at the Caribbean Cultural Center here in Manhattan revolving around Marvel's black superheroes and their iconic images. Here is the link to the NY1 spotlight on this: http://www.ny1.com/8-queens-news-content/ny1_living/113749/exhibit-celebrates-black-comic-book-superheroes
I promise you all I will try to make it there in the next couple of days to give a full report.

3. Hands up if you agree with me that Lost has lost you with the first couple of episodes of this final season. And to piggyback on this point, can you remember a show that constantly botches its momentum like Smallville does? JSA and Zatanna build up a momentum just to have "pink kryptonite dusted chocolate candy" derail it. No I am not exaggerating about that. The only thing about last week's show that was redeeming what the Chloe / Tess confrontation, and even by then the mystery had fallen flat because of revelations that the audience already have gotten this season. You folks know me when it comes to continuity and superheroes' personality so answer me this: What Superman do you know heat visions a double skyscraper in the middle of a crowded city and makes NO effort to get bystanders out of the way? BTW, this WASN'T because of the kryptonite, he did it WILLINGLY.

4. No worries all, I still have not changed my mind on the utter mess that both Blackest Night and Siege have been as company wide crossovers.

5. OK so now DC Comics are going to be run by Dan DiDio, Geoff Johns, and Jim Lee. Um, where is the news in this? From the last couple of years, I thought they were ALREADY running the company. 2 years ago, the fanboy in me would be overjoyed at this. Now the cynic in me says prove to me that you can do better.

6. Black History Month so I found this quite refreshing:
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/02/16/scotts-classic-comics-corner-spotlight-on-alvin-a-c-hollingworth/ I love learning about history and to learn a little about a black creators history in comics is fascinating.

7. I know it is not science fiction but Tiger Woods is the worst acting cylon I have ever seen. Where's his emotion chip? Data showed more emotion on the Star Trek The Next Generation than this dude.

8. To keep my sense of sardonic humor going, check this list out:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/geek-to-me/2010/01/the-worst-movie-sequels-ever.html I have a couple more bad sequels but that list is mind numbing enough.

9. I know Max will disagree with me on this but the impact of Hercules situation was ruined to me by Marvel mass solicitations once again. I saw it, I read it, but any true emotional impact is gone. It did not hit me like what Sentry did to Ares in Siege because all shock, anger, sadness, whatever was gone.

10. After reading Dark Avengers I came to the realization that the Marvel Universe Version of me is probably dead 10 times over by now. No way would I live through all the stuff that has happened to New York over the years. I wonder how Willie Lumpkin and anyone in the Spidey Universe does it?

Thanks for reading all and until next time, keep fantasizing!

No comments: