Welcome to my little corner of insanity once again AfroNerd readers. Once again, I have the news bits from my favorite site that piqued my interest this week. I dedicate this one to Randy Poffo a.k.a. Randy "Macho Man" Savage who passed away last week....
1) Many props to Laura Hudson for getting together Blair Butler, Jill Pantozzi, and Heidi MacDonald for a frank and enlightenment discussion on the "Geek Girl" image.
I said it in their comments section that at first, I will say that the sight of girls/women in the comic shop made me freak while younger. Now, they are a very informed part of the comic business and should be treated as such. Can we pass the memo along to some of our "less enlightened" brethren now?
2) I seem to recall this radio show connected to this site that first dealt with the "ignorance" of the DC Flashpoint Universe after an article by David Brothers at 4th Letter a month ago and it seems the rest of the world has caught up:
Well DC has finally gotten around to answer some of the questions:
As usual, I am left cold... although I will say that Flashpoint #1 was good....and I was right. It is Age of Apocalypse DC Style. In other related Flashpoint notes, Newsarama wonders about the lasting effects of Flashpoint on the DC Comics line as a whole on August 31st:
3) Graeme McMillan has his own wishes for what DC should do after the crossover event:
If it does end up being another One Year Later event, I can see a lot of frustrated DC fans...
4) Elsewhere McMillan wonders how short out memories are in regards to Michael Bay and transforming robots:
5) Brian Hibbs takes a look at the Direct Market and its failings in the current economic market after several of his nearby San Francisco book stores started closing:
Unfortunately with the advent of new technologies, book stores are forced to change/adapt their business model or go the way of the dodo. Every time I pull out an actual book to read on the train or bus, people look at me like I have 2 heads. People just figure that when everything gets to be advanced, we should just leave the old things behind. I guess I am an old fogie then. What's worse is that by their shipping scheduling, DC and Marvel are not helping matters either.... Anyway, in an effort to leave this round of blogging in a good mood:
6) Ron Marz speaks candidly about returning to Green Lantern Kyle Rayner and doing a one off story with Darryl Banks:
7) Two fun inter-entertainment mash-ups that I know were fun for me to look at. First up, the creators of Lets Be Friends Again do a work up of Doctor Strange if he was done in the "House M.D." mold:
Then, the aforementioned Laura Hudson posts a picture of the "X-Muppets":
That's it for me this week folks. Thx for reading and until next week..*plays pomp and circumstance as I walk away*...Keep Fantasizing!
And in homage to the late Randy "Macho Man" Savage, check out his voice over work, on Dexter's Laboratory