Home Page


Sunday, October 01, 2006

Queensbridge Projects........a history.....



First off, I must apologize for not blogging with greater frequency. I promise that for the month of October going forward I will commit to more entries. I'm always a sucker for the contrarian. A few days ago I just happened to be listening to Air America radio when I came across an interview with Selena Blake. Not only is Ms. Blake a resident of the infamous Queensbridge projects but also a documentarian of Queensbridge: The Other Side, a film showcasing an alternate view of the nation's largest project development. I will be the first to say that I am not a fan of the projects...any project development, not just Queensbridge. But I am keenly aware that just because someone is from the projects doesn't mean they are about the projects. Unfortunately, the commercialized hiphop music that is presently being force fed the public did not get that memo. For those who are not from New York, you may be familiar with Queensbridge as it is the birthplace for many New York based rap acts-Nas, Havoc of Mobb Deep, Mc Shan, Marly Marl, Roxanne Shante and a whole host of others have called Queensbridge home. For more info regarding Ms. Blake's efforts, check out the links below:

  • Queensbridge the Other Side


  • Queensbridge, the Other Side Focuses on Housing Project
  • No comments: