Home Page


Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Serving of.......Hot Ghetto Mess

Maybe I'm late on this.....but I just happened to catch a segment of Judge Judy in which the litigants were squaring off over an internet site entitled:
  • hotghettomess.com
  • The defendant was the owner of the site who was being sued by a young man who felt wronged and perhaps defamed because his photograph was featured on this site without his permission. I suspect that plaintiff also felt that the photograph in question was serving as an object of ridicule. The sister that ran the site gave an eloquent description of the premise of Ghetto Mess (which was of course a thinly veiled commercial) which essentially puts a mirror to the African-American community showcasing tacky aka ghetto versus appropriate acceptable behavior. The case ended with Ghetto Mess' owner removing the young man's picture along with a verbal tongue lashing to the plaintiff for being a bit sensitive for a photograph that he made available for public consumption. Part of me understands what Ghetto Mess is trying to do but I also feel there is a bit of exploitation on the part of the site owners. Some of the photos are the creme de la creme of poor taste. I'm just not sure that the bearers of poor taste know or care that there appearance and actions are questionable. You decide. Next up...my thoughts on my uncle (in spirit and philosophy), Dr. William H. Cosby.

    No comments: