Home Page


Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Just Today, The Comic Shoppe Airs at 7pm ET-Discussing the GL & WW Costumes, More on the Thor Movie & Daryll B's Latest Post!



Hello supporters and true believers. Unfortunately, The Comic Shoppe was preempted from our regularly scheduled Tuesday broadcast date, so we decided to push it up 24 hours to tonight at 7pm eastern. Join Max, Daryll and yours truly as we discuss the latest in comic book, sci-fi and fantasy news. We will discuss our thoughts concerning the recent pictures of Ryan Reynolds as the Green Lantern as well as photos from the Thor movie set; how scribe, Mark Millar feels about the President’s depiction in comics according to a recent Wizard magazine article; the new take on the Wonder Woman mythos (as well as her costume retooling) and of course our reviews pertaining to last week’s comic book releases. Don’t be afraid! Call us live at 646-200-0104 with your questions, concerns or protestations. See you guys at the shoppe!



Back into the AfroNerd breach for me readers, and all I can say is "Hi" once again. Between the World Cup and schoolwork, I have been very occupied but let me get back on the horse for 10 quick hits:

1) I have been quite surprised at how minimal the advertising has been outside of comic book circles for the Scott Pilgrim movie. However, I FINALLY saw a commercial during last night's Boondocks episode. I am of 2 minds about the movie though...sure his fans are getting what they wanted, but to have him fight ALL 7 exs in one movie? Isn't that the type of over-saturization that Indie comic fans complained about in Spidey, X-Men, and Batman movies?

2) Yes I have been watching the new season of Futurama and yes I like it...Seems some fans have nothing better to do but to complain.

3) Nice to see DC step up to the plate with some of their new creative teams. Even though the JMS direction for Superman has me scratching my head, I appreciate the fact that they realize the direction needed less stunts and better storytelling. (Although DC having Felicia Henderson doing the new Static ongoing doesn't exactly fill me with joy either...) http://blog.newsarama.com/2010/07/16/even-more-dc-news-static-ongoing-dc-comics-presents/

4) AW YEAH! This will be full of win: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/tiny-titans-archie-team-up-100716.html

5) Hands up if you DIDN'T think Matt Murdock leading The Hand would end up going bad?

6) BTW Everything Siege and Second Coming were lacking as events, DoomWar and Thanos Imperative have more than made up in spades. I dunno about Shadowland just yet...

7) I have no comment on the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern costume...I just can't get my "Comic Book Guy" rage built up today for some reason.... and it is very interesting to hear former creators comment on it. http://www.ifanboy.com/content/articles/Ryan_Reynolds_as_Hal_Jordan_on_the_Cover_of_Entertainment_Weekly and http://blog.newsarama.com/2010/07/15/green-lantern-creators-past-and-present-shed-some-light-on-their-opinion-of-the-gl-movie-costume/

8) Marvel & Disney doing a Runaways movie...cool..until I read that they are going to make it live action... Don't get me wrong, Disney does a decent job with things like Aaron Stone for example, but I had my heart set for a animated feature. http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/18/who-are-runaways/

9) I have to admit I was getting frustrated with the latest Doctor Who episode on BBC America until the last 20 minutes. In the Pandorica Opens, that has to be one of the most surprising cliffhangers in Who history.

10) The closer I get to the big sci-fi theater in the sky, the more I am surprised by some of the things that I end up liking. This week, I stumbled onto The Gates out of curiosity and what can I say? It isn't bad....as a primer for Being Human, who returns this week with a major marathon and a brand new episode on BBC America. Check your local listings....

Thx for reading once again AfroNerd readers. Until next time, Keep Fantasizing!

No comments: